Research and Academics
The Division of Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy (PMA) is home to internationally recognized academic and research programs. In PMA, undergraduate and graduate scholars are given ample opportunity to work closely with outstanding faculty, learning through classroom lectures, discussions, and hands-on research into how the universe works. Those faculty, along with their PMA colleagues, pioneer a wide range of studies that lead to a greater breadth and depth of understanding in fields that cover all scales, from the cosmos down to atoms, electrons, strings, quantum foam, and more.
Institutional Learning Outcomes
The Institute aims for these educational outcomes:
• Graduates can analyze, synthesize, and communicate ideas.
• Graduates demonstrate integrity, personal and professional responsibility, and respect for others.
• Bachelor of Science graduates can identify, analyze, and solve challenging problems within and across science and engineering disciplines.
• Bachelor of Science graduates can apply their analytic skills to other areas of knowledge and understand issues important in our society.
• Master of Science graduates can apply advanced knowledge in a specialized area in preparation for their professional careers.
• Doctor of Philosophy graduates can independently identify, analyze, and solve fundamental research problems with breadth and depth.